Associate Professor - Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, 2004
- M.S., Urban and Environmental Science, Peking University, China, 1999
- B.S., Hydraulic and Hydropower Engineering, Tsinghua University, China, 1996
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53211, USA
Qian Liao, Ph.D.
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Environmental fluid mechanics
- Hydrodynamic-Biogeochemical modeling
- Hydraulics and hydrology
- Mixing and turbulence in aquatic systems
- Imaging-based flow analysis
- Shen, C., Liao, Q. and Bootsma, H. A. (2020). Modeling the influence of invasive mussels on phosphorus cycling in Lake Michigan. Ecological Modelling, 416, 108920.
- Wang, F., Gao, A., Wu, S., Zhu, S., Dai, J., & Liao, Q. (2019). Experimental Investigation of Coherent Vortex Structures in a Backward-Facing Step Flow. Water, 11(12), 2629.
- Li, W., Liao, Q., and Ran, Q-H., (2019). Stereo-imaging LSPIV (SI-LSPIV) for 3D water surface reconstruction and discharge measurement in mountain river flows. Journal of Hydrology, 578, 124099.
- Cannon, D. J., Troy, C. D., Liao, Q., and Bootsma, H. A. (2019). Ice‐free radiative convection drives spring mixing in a large lake. Geophysical Research Letters. doi: 10.1029/2019GL082916.
- Jin, T. and Liao, Q., (2019) Application of Large Scale PIV in river surface turbulence measurements and water depth estimation. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation. 67, 142-152.
- Shen, C., Liao, Q, Titi, H.H., and Li, J. (2018). Turbidity of Stormwater Runoff from Highway Construction Sites. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 144(8), 04018061.
- Shen, C., Liao, Q., Bootsma, H.A., Troy, C.D., and Cannon D. (2018) Regulation of plankton and nutrient dynamics by profundal quagga mussels in Lake Michigan: A one dimensional model. Hydrobiologia, 815(1), 47-63.
- Sun, J., Liao, Q., and Wang, G. (2016) Not light or gravity but water guiding root to grow. Optik-International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, 127(8), 3834-3839.
- Sun, J., and Liao, Q. (2016) Fractal of random pore and directivity of soil seepage. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 4093.
- Wang B., and Liao, Q. (2016) Field observations of turbulent dissipation rate profiles immediately below the air-water interface. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 121(6), 4377-4391.
- Li, W., Ran, Q-H., Liao, Q., Tang, H-L., and Wang, M-Y. (2016) Application of an Automated LSPIV System in a Mountainous Stream for Continuous Flood Flow Measurements. Hydrological Processes, 30(17), 3014-3029.
- Troy, C., Cannon, D., Liao, Q., and Bootsma, H.A. (2016) Logarithmic velocity structure in the deep hypolimnetic waters of Lake Michigan. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 121(1), 949-965.
- Wang B., Liao, Q., Fillingham, J., and Bootsma H. A. (2015) On the coefficient of small eddy and surface divergence models for the air-water gas exchange. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 120(3), 2129-2146.
- Liao, Q., Wang, B., and Wang, P.F. (2014) In Situ measurement of sediment resuspension caused by propeller wash with an underwater Particle Image Velocimetry and an Acoustic Doppler Velocimeter. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 41, 1-9.